Mental Health Awareness in Sport and Physical Activity
Mental Health Awareness in Sport and Physical Activity (MHASPA) is a 3-hour workshop designed to give you the practical tools to help you better support those of us with mental health problems to be more active.
This short course is aimed at anyone working within sport and physical activity – from coaches to front-of-house staff – who would like to increase their knowledge and understanding of mental health within the context of their work. The workshop has been developed by Mind with support from UK Coaching and Sport England, and will be delivered by trainers from Mind.
During the workshop you will:
- Explore perceptions and misconceptions about mental health including the positive impact of sport and physical activity on physical and mental health and wellbeing
- Understand the barriers that those of us with mental health problem can experience in sport and physical activity
- Have developed practical ways that you can create a positive sporting environment which is more inclusive and accessible to those of us with mental health problems
- Feel more confident to talk about mental health and wellbeing and know where to signpost people to
- Develop an action plan to embed practices into your organisation
No prior knowledge is necessary and this highly interactive workshop will help you develop practical tools to ensure your activities are even more inclusive.
PLEASE NOTE: This course involves a small amount of reading and minimal writing. The workshop is seated and involves minimal physical activity. Please note that some of our venues are located on the first floor and do not have wheelchair access. If you have specific access or learning needs, please contact us prior to the event so that we can ensure that your needs are met.