Age UK Wiltshire Volunteer Training Bursary & Volunteer Roles
The aim of the bursary scheme is to assist with increasing capacity within our Fitness and Friendship clubs for older people by providing an increase in the number of qualified physical activity leaders/club organisers within Wiltshire & Swindon.
Who can apply?
Any individual who wants to train as a physical activity leader for older people and is willing to commit 3 hours a fortnight of their own time to run a local Fitness and Friendship club, with on-going support from Age UK Wiltshire’s Fitness and Friendship Team. Applicants should be resident in Wiltshire or Swindon and be using their training within the county.
Resources and Support:
We will fund the cost of a 2-day F&F course (£180 + VAT) Emergency First Aid, Insurance and ongoing CPD. You will receive a training manual and resources required for running a club and at least 2 weeks of on the job training with Fitness and Friendship staff and volunteers. If you require any support in completing your application please do not hesitate to contact me.
Fitness and Friendship volunteer role description:
- Fitness & Friendship Club Leader
- To provide hands on support to Age UK Wiltshire by running local fitness and friendship clubs for older people.
- The clubs use a series of activities and games designed specifically for older people to take part in physical activity in a local environment – we use L.I.F.E. (Low impact functional exercises) either seated or standing that can help improve daily life
- You will promote the clubs locally, and attract participants to the programme.
- You will deliver sessions to older members of local communities and deliver taster sessions to other interested groups. You will work towards developing and running long term Fitness and Friendship clubs in your area and also share information regarding participation in the programme with Age UK Wiltshire.
Skills and Experience:
- Ability / willingness to lead simple exercise classes
- Organised and self-motivated
- A good motivator
- Able to communicate effectively
- Approachable, friendly and professional
- Smart appearance
- Enjoy working with the public
- Be able to complete basic paperwork
- Driving license and access to a car would be desirable
- Good IT skills are desirable
- Experience of working with older people is desirable
- Community involvement is desirable
You will receive specific training for your role of Club Leader where you will need to attend a two day training course (divided into two sets of training, each on one day). You must attend both days in order to pass the course. Age UK Wiltshire will cover all costs and expenses of the course. You will then be provided with ongoing support and equipment. You will also be offered ongoing support and training.
AGE UK WILTSHIRE ARE LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS TO LEAD ONE (OR MORE!) OF OUR GROWING GROUP OF “FITNESS AND FRIENDSHIP” CLUBS
We will train you, free of charge, to be a Fitness & Friendship Club leader. This will give you all the necessary skills to run a club that helps to keep older people active, healthy, happy and involved in their community. You will become part of a caring and dynamic team of staff and volunteers within Age UK Wiltshire.
The next training session will be in Amesbury on Friday 17th April and 1st May 2020 (9.30am to 4.30pm). Please click here for more information: Age UK Training
If you would like more information, please contact:
Sally Evans, Active Ageing Coordinator on 07754 612569
or the Age UK Wiltshire office on 01380 727767
You can also contact Sally for further information at: